Thursday, April 2, 2015

It's Over...

So, for the first time in months, I didn't open my laptop on Saturday OR Sunday!  This past Friday, 27 March, the winter/spring Iron Yard cohort of Charleston presented our final projects!  Each person was given the task to develop a web application that would expand our skills and we had just over 2 weeks to finish it!  In addition, we were given the option to complete the project in a group or go solo.  I decided to work with a partner since software is not made by an individual alone.

My partner and I created the Charleston Basketlist.  The Basketlist allows users to select their own personal bucket list of activities they would like to create around the Charleston area.  Users can comment on activities, see maps to get there and even add their own.  The application was built as a combination app of Ruby on Rails and AngularJS.  AngularJS was integrated into the Rails pipeline.  The final project is deployed on Heroku.

This was a great experience and I was able to learn quite a bit about AngularJS along the way.  I integrated the ngUpload directive to upload activity images to the AWS S3 bucket.  In addition, I worked on the comment feature which adds, edits, and deletes with no page refreshes.

Now I am currently looking for a position that will allow me to continue to grow but also give me the opportunity to join a team where I can make a difference.  Checkout my portfolio (work in progress) at http://graymd.github.io.

For my next blog, I plan to walk through setting up an easy Backbone.js application built on rails.  If coding interests you, shoot me an email...I love talking to people about code!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog - I look forward to your next discussion re: setting up a Backbone app!

    ReplyDelete